Saturday, June 15, 2013

Pesto Pasta (Shh!!!)

Breakfast
A friend, inspired to work on her family's nutrition, asked me, "What do your girls eat for breakfast?"  My response, "Salads, vegetables, green smoothies, soups..."
Today's breakfast menu - PESTO PASTA!

First, I have to tell you a secret!
Here goes!  The pasta is not pasta at all!  It is raw squash.  Zucchini, yellow squash, crook neck.  Any variety will do.
Meet my new kitchen toy!  The Spiral Slicer!

I am not one who appreciates excessive amounts of appliances or gadgets in my kitchen.  For me, less is more. For a birthday gift, my husband purchased the Spiral Slicer on Amazon for $16, and I am grateful!   I find shredding or grating makes raw squash too mushy, compared to this.  I use it once a week, on average.  My family enjoys it.  My children prepare the "pasta."  
Simply put, it is FUN!
You give it a spin, it gives you spirals!!!
It looks just like spaghetti, but tastes so much better!
Ask Julia!  She does not like squash.  When prepared this way she is all about seconds and thirds!
Try topping "spaghetti" squash with your favorite pasta sauce, hot or cold.   
(vegan) PESTO PASTA RECIPE:
Fresh PASTA - Select your favorite variety of squash!  Give it a spin in the Spiral Slicer (or grate your own).  Of course, keep it raw...no need to cook this pasta!   
PESTO
1/2 cup *soaked walnuts
1/4 cup olive oil - more or less depending on desired consistency 
1-2 cups basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
*Soak nuts in water for 8-10 hours.  Soaking activates enzymes in the food and makes them easier to digest.
Blend nuts in food processor or blender.  Add olive oil and pulse.  Scrape down sides.  Add basil and pulse. Season with remaining ingredients and pulse.  Keeps in refrigerator for one week.  
Top spiralized squash with pesto, halved cherry tomatoes, and extra basil.  
If you like, serve a warm tomato sauce on one half of the "pasta" and pesto on the other.  This combination is nice! 
Yep!  More of this pasta is merrier!

No comments:

Post a Comment