Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Plant Based Journey #1

THANK HEAVEN FOR FRIENDS...
I have been blessed by the influence of my friend, Tamie, who inspired me to think "PLANT BASED" (a term received more favorably than VEGAN)!  My journey to consuming only "PLANT BASED" foods began eight weeks ago!  I have been nearly a vegetarian since the age of eight, but fish and chicken crept into my diet for a while.  Those were eliminated nearly six years ago.  Eight weeks ago I gave up all dairy and eggs and have not looked back!  Why didn't I meet Tamie sooner?!  We are all in a different place on our "nutrition journey" and any little thing we do to improve our diet in the direction of becoming "PLANT BASED" is a positive change.
I will leave it to the experts to share the science behind the importance of becoming VEGAN, but I will share my journey and what influences or enlightens me and my family.  Remember, I am a novice in this department, but maybe that will give confidence that this journey is possible for anyone wanting to maintain a youthful longevity!
A quote, which comes from experts in this field, goes like this..."If everyone committed to a plant based diet, there would be an epidemic.  AN EPIDEMIC OF HEALTH!"  Wouldn't that be amazing!  My goal is to spread this "epidemic!"

Recommended Reading:
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D.
Unprocessed by Chef AJ

Recommended DVDs:
I replay these often at night when the house is quiet and while I am working on projects, cleaning, or cooking.  I love rehearing them, as they are packed with information.)
Forks Over Knives - PLEASE START WITH THIS ONE...IT IS A PERFECT FIRST STEP
Forks Over Knives the Extended Interview
FoodMatters
The Beautiful Truth - about a homeschool boy's journey!
The Gerson Miracle
Vegucated - graphic for children, but truthful
Fruit can be cute!  Compliments of Vicky!
Angie requested my green smoothie recipe.  I do not measure, I throw it in!!!
My base (roughly):
1 cup kale
1/2 frozen banana (add ice, if bananas are not frozen)
1/2-1 whole (depending on variety) apple - peel left on
3 inches of cucumber - peel removed
1/2 cup water
Ice cubes
Blend!  I use a VitaMix, which pulverizes. A blender may not blend all the fibers.  Let me know!
Add or substitute:
spinach
carrots
celery
orange
mango
berries
any seasonal or frozen fruit or vegetable of choice
Non dairy milk of choice
Fresh squeezed orange juice
***Share with me your favorite concoction!

I am embarrassed to share this, as it is so simple, but MANY ORPHANS from the girls' birthday party requested it!!!   Here goes..ORPHAN MUSH!!!
Oats
Almond Milk
Agave or sweetener to taste - very little, if any
Cinnamon (or add a stick or two to your pot, then remove before serving...my girls like to lick it when done!)
Vanilla
Prepare oats as directed on package, but add roughly 3 parts almond milk to one part water for recommended liquid.  Add more if consistency is too thick.
Add spices and sweetener of choice while cooking.
In individual bowls I topped sliced bananas and berries with this warm MUSH!
Slivered almonds and extra almond milk were served on the side for those desiring!! (Flax and extra cinnamon on top in nice)
So simple...
Orphan Mush

No comments:

Post a Comment