Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fabric Strip Banner or Window Decor

Fabric Strip Banner


Banners have been a favorite of mine for a long time (emphasize long!).   I began with paper style banners, then switched to fabric, added in yarn, and am still not done with the whole banner idea!  Now I am going for a peaceful look to act as a window valance in my daughters' room.  I do not want to put up curtains or shades, but their windows looks like a big, black holes at night. I think this might soften up the windows at night, yet not take away light or views during the day!
 Supplies:
Fabric, Rotary Cutter (optional, but a time saver), ScissorsCutting Board, 6/32" Cotton Filler Cord (or any size piping for pillows, twine, rope, or string),
and a good book on tape or movie!
Fold the fabric to the desired strip length.  Mine ranged from 37 to 40 inches, depending on the bolt dimensions.  Cut strips about 1-2 inches wide (your preference).  Exactness is not necessary!  Cutting outside is, however!  Fabric fibers will rampantly shed!!  Plan on using 11/2-2 yards of fabric per 1yard of completed banner.  I wanted mine to be really thick.  Measure space and buy accordingly.  I got lucky, as I hit a 50% off sale on all linen fabrics at Joann's!!!  It is hard to see, but the blue stripe has a thin metallic sparkle running down it, one white is shimmery, and the flax color has subtle gold flowers.  I love the natural colors with just a faint bit of sparkle and shimmer!  They are feminine and pretty!  

Keep your fabric strips sorted separately.  
Turn on some entertainment and have fun tying!  
Tips:
Tie cord between chairs, take a seat between, start knotting!
When tying your simple knots, pull loosely to prevent excess fraying.
Decide how you place your fabric strips.  Randomly?  In patterns?  
I avoided patterns and went for clusters of my four white tones and randomly threw in the blue strips.  I thought the blue may overpower the whites, so I used fewer blues and just tied them on here and there.
Leave enough filler cord on the ends to tie slip knots for hanging.  Hang up your masterpiece!  I hung mine quite high, nearly to the ceiling.  Twine a few fabric strips on the ends to hide the cord.  
I left my ends uneven, but trimmed a few threads.
Stand back, admire, and add or subtract some strips.  
Tranquility!
Our college friend, Amber, inspired me with this style.  She used 3 fabulous, cheerful, colors to liven up her dorm hallway.  I wish I had a picture to share!  This technique would be perfect for needed privacy on a bathroom window, on any window where you wish to hide a rolled up shade or undesirable view, or simply tied from the tree limb to limb!  
Happy creating! 

No comments:

Post a Comment